Candida. What is it? Well candida or yeast, is a fungus that can normally be found inside your intestines. Well what does it have to do with Lyme Disease? It actually has nothing to do with Lyme Disease. It's a completely independent entity from the bacterium. So why do I always hear about candida in reference to Lyme Disease? Whenever you are trying to reclaim your health, the removal of any physical or mental damper is essential and candida happens to be one of them.
If you have Lyme Disease chances are you are taking conventional antibiotics. The conventional antibiotics not only destroy the Lyme bacteria in your body but also the good bacteria or "Probiotics" that are normally found in your intestines. Probiotics(digestive enzymes) are essential for regulating and helping your food digest properly. In time, the destruction of your good flora will allow the candida, which is normally kept in check by the good bacteria, to flourish. Having the candida flourish can allow the fungus to spread beyond your intestines to other parts of the body to create a condition known as Candida Albicans. This can cause physical and mental havoc.
Consuming antibiotics isn't the only way to destroy the good bacteria in your gut to allow the candida to flourish. Some 80% of your immune system actually lives in your digestive system and it plays a part in keeping the candida in check as well. When you become stressed or consume a not so evolutionary appropriate diet, your immune system becomes weak and in doing so, removes one more prohibitor of candida.
Chances are if you're reading this article, you have a yeast overgrowth and you're looking to understand how to control it. Believe it or not, if you're treating your Lyme Disease holistically, chances are good that you're already taking something to kill the Lyme that is also killing the candida. Hence the extreme stomach pains, gas and bloating. If you're treating your Lyme Disease conventionally, we will get you caught up. So here are the basics.
Avoiding Sugar, Gluten and Dairy
Avoiding sugar, gluten and dairy is the general consensus for keeping candida under control. Sugar being a natural building block for life, gluten naturally found in yeast and mold found in most dairies are the main life lines for candida to thrive. If you are already on a Lyme Disease diet which excludes gluten, sugar (mostly refined), and dairy then your diet is in good hands.
Take a Good Probiotic
You have to take a good probiotic to restore the good enzymes in your gut that are killed off due to antibiotic intake. Probiotics are helpful for building the immune system, the absorption of vitamins and minerals and they keep the bad bacteria in balance.
Popular Probiotics for Candida Overgrowth
- Udo's Choice Super 8 Probiotic - Super 8 contains 8 strains of bacteria with a higher percentage of Acidophilus to specifically keep yeast in balance
- Symbion - Symbion contains 3 strains of bacteria that are highly effective at not only getting the candida under control but also preventing overgrowth
- FiveLac - FiveLac contains 5 strains of bacteria that are specially encapsulated to survive the acidic nature of the stomach.
Take a good Antifungal
Taking a good antifungal is appropriate for killing off any excess candida that is flourishing in your gut and causing gastrointestinal issues. Antifungals can be found in even the food we eat such as garlic and coconuts. If you're on a holistic protocol, chances are good you are taking a natural antibiotic for Lyme Disease which doubles as an anti-fungal.
Popular Immune Boosters
- Echinacea - Echinacea is an perennial herb that is unique to North America. It has the ability to stimulate white blood cells white are the fighting force for our bodies. Echinacea usually becomes ineffective after 6 weeks of consumption. A 2 week abstention will allow the herb to become effective again.
- Samento - Samento is a rare type of Cat's Claw found in the Peruvian Rain Forest. It is more commonly used for its antibacterial and antiviral properties but doubles as a beneficiary to the immune system by stimulating white blood cells.
- Vitamin C - Vitamin C boosts the immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells and antibodies which are essential for finding and fighting off foreign invaders.
- Transfer Factor Plus - Transfer Factor Plus is a product made by the company 4Life. It boosts your natural killer cell's activity by 437% compared to only 43% with Echinacea
As a forewarning, just as killing off Lyme Disease can cause a herxheimer reaction, so can killing off candida.
Disclaimer: The information presented on this page is not intended to diagnosis, treat, prevent or cure and disease. Always consult with your health care provider before starting any type of regiment.